I’m not a fan of spaghetti sauce. I never have been. I would rather have noodles with butter and garlic. I do however love to dip my bread in sauce, and my husband and kid LOVE spaghetti. So I set out to find a good sauce recipe to just make it from scratch. This recipe makes about 3 quart bags that go in the freezer quite well and take about a day or so to thaw out.
- 2 29oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 6oz cans tomato paste
- 1 large onion
- 2-8 gloves of garlic (depending on personal preference)
- 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 can water (use empty tomato sauce can)
- oregano to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put garlic gloves (approx 2-8, depending on preference) and onion into a food processor and pulverize.
- Salt pan and cook meat, spoon off any grease.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, stir in onion and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour tomato sauce and paste into a large pot.
- Add 1/2 can of water to tomato mix.
- Add meat mixture to tomato sauce, stir well.
- Sprinkle oregano on top of sauce, enough to coat the top. Stir, then repeat.
- Add salt and pepper to sauce, stir.
- Add sugar, stir.
- Simmer on low for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.